Home / Blog / Peer Review Still Relevant in the Digital Age?

Peer Review Still Relevant in the Digital Age?

Peer Review Still Relevant in the Digital Age?

p>In our current electronic environment where everyone is connected, is it still useful to hold face-to-face peer reviews? It turns out, for individuals that are writing papers for academic journals or scientists who are working on breakthrough innovations, it is. The ability to have their peers review and give constructive feedback about the work in an unbiased fashion is vital to improving the paper, thesis or book.

Below is a summation of an interesting study conducted by Wiley and the input of a Ph.D. student Roganie Govender about the value of a peer review.

Why Do Peer Reviews Happen?

According to Wiley, 69% occur because someone has written a paper they wish to submit to a journal. The other 31% conduct reviews because their supervisor recommended it.

Even though the peer review process primarily applies to the academia, scientific and medical fields, there is no reason it can’t apply to the business world. Most professionals are asked to write articles, press releases, PowerPoint presentations or case studies and could use the input from their peers to improve these type of written documents.

How Many Reviews Occur in a Day?

Typically, reviewers look at five or more documents per session. This is why having a quiet space where individuals can read, write, print and/or collaborate on the material is essential. In addition, as the discussion ensues, having laptop and server rentals that provide fast, secure Internet access for validating research and storing the data on the cloud is paramount to the success of the process.

What is Most Valued?

Feedback and acknowledgement by highly qualified researchers is very important to each author. As Govender stated, “It (the peer review) provides some quality assurance to consumers of research.” She went on to say it is equivalent to an online, starred review (i.e. Yelp, TripAdvisor).

What do Reviewers Need?

It turns out that better training was identified by both sources, as something reviewers need to do a better job. Perhaps, organizations will consider training the peer review participants just before the process begins to validate standards and expectations for the session.

Benefits of Peer Review Process

In summary, peer reviews help improve the author’s work; raising questions about their paper or asking for more clarity about the content of their research. All of this is conducted in a safe, quiet environment with the goal of providing the best feedback and insights on the work before reviewers.

For the person writing the paper, it is important to continue to ask for these type of reviews and gain unbiased, professional input about the work well before it is pitched to a journal or publisher for consideration.

Hartford Technology Rental Provides Peer Review Equipment

Do you have a peer review and need a technology rental solution? Give us a call today at 888-520-5667 or fill out a quote online. We will put our experience to work for you and provide a total solution to make your next review a great success!