When I think of video gaming, it brings up many memories of my sons playing on their Nintendos or Wii gaming systems throughout their pre-teen and teenage years. They were addicted to the latest and greatest games, to the point, where I thought many of the violent ones would have a negative psychological effect on them.
It turns out I was wrong.
There is a lot of research that supports the notion that gaming has now become very popular with many individuals, even those well over 30 years old. In fact, yesterday I spotted my uncle playing Candy Crush on his smartphone. Apparently, he plays this game and others like it, a few minutes every day.
Let’s take a closer look at the research, the benefits to workplace productivity and how you can bring video gaming into your corporation.
Research Supports Gaming
According to the Entertainment Software Association:
- 55% of gamers are male and 45% are female
- 32% are under 18 years old, 32% are 18-35 years and 36% are 36 and older
A McGill University study found gaming reduced the stress hormone cortisol by 17%.
Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital found children play video games to manage their stress and anger.
A study at the University College in London of 491 individuals found a correlation between the number of hours spent playing games and the ability of workers to better handle stress throughout the workday.
The National Institute of Aging discovered that gaming improved seniors’ cognitive functions.
The recommendation from all these studies determined it is beneficial to play a video game for at least a few minutes every day.
Key Benefits of Gaming
- Stress Reduction
- Less Depression
- Less Hostile to Co-Workers During Stressful Period
- Improved Cognitive Skills
Setting Up a Gaming Center
You have decided to try this out for the next 90 days to see the results. Here is what you need to do to get started:
- Identify a room or area for gaming.
This area will need to have gaming PC rentals, gaming monitor rentals and space for virtual reality rentals. This area should be comfortable and relaxing with oversized couches and chairs and plenty of room for VR.
- Ask employees what sort of games they enjoy playing.
Your rental provider can load the games onto your PC and recommend the proper controllers for each game.
- Set up a time limit and food/beverage restrictions.
Let employees know they can come to this space before and after work, during lunch or on their breaks. Let them know they cannot bring in food and beverages into this area. If people are waiting, provide an online clock that counts down the time they have left.
- Encourage all employees to give it a try and give them training on the games.
- Have enough rentals in place so there is not a long wait time.
- Encourage managers to share feedback whether they see an improvement in employees’ stress levels, ability to get along with others and productivity at work.
- If you see general acceptance of this center, give extra time to employees as a PERK for a job well done.
Hartford Technology Rental Loves Gaming
Partner with us when you are ready to set up a gaming center. We understand the technologies behind gaming and have high-performance gaming PCs to ensure the best possible experience. To learn more about our products and services, give us a call at 888-520-5667 or contact us online. We are here to help!