On Sunday, April 22, we will celebrate Earth Day. A day meant to help us focus on how precious and fragile the earth’s ecosystem really is.
One company has made it their mission to do what they can to rid emissions from the atmosphere. This month, they hit their goal of 100% green power at all their facilities worldwide, including all retail establishments.
That’s right…it’s Apple. And it doesn’t stop at their company door. They have convinced twenty-three of their supply chain partners to sign a pledge to reach 100% renewable energy, too. They even offer an in-house consulting firm to make it easier for this to happen.
Below are the statistics highlighting Apple’s commitment to clean energy.
Apple’s Environmental Practices
- In 2009, they built a solar farm to power their North Carolina data center.
- Apple commonly partners with local utilities or independent green power providers who know how to balance power loads. To keep costs down, they sign a 20-year contract to buy power from the provider.
- Apple Park has one of the largest solar roofs in the world. 80% of the campus consists of open space. Since opening the park, they have planted roughly 9,000 trees at this location.
- They have twenty-five operational renewable energy projects, with plans for fifteen more, in eleven countries.
- In 2010, 16 percent of their facilities were powered by renewable energy. In 2015, 93 percent were. 2018 brought it to their goal of 100 percent.
- Since 2011, they have reduced green house gases by 58 percent, preventing over two million metric tons of CO2E from entering the atmosphere. 75% of those savings were realized last year, which is equivalent to taking 300,000 cars off the road.
Other Silicon Companies Are Committed to Renewable Energy
- Google is the largest purchaser of renewable energy
- Facebook powers 25% of its data centers this way and is committed to making that 50% by the end of the year
- AWS is working toward a 100% goal by the end of the year, too.
What Can Your Company Do
While renewable energy may not be available for your organization because you are too small or don’t own the business property, there are other viable ways to live Earth Day, every day. We have seventeen additional tips to help your business or event think green first!
We Practice Earth Day, Every Day
At Hartford Technology Rental we salute Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon in their clean energy initiatives. We have a green program, to do our part in making a difference for future generations. Please contact us today at 888-520-5667 to learn more about our technology rental programs and sustainability practices.